Friday, July 17, 2009

A few nights ago, in the midst of our slumber there came a scream followed by the crying of our two youngest children. Amber and I drew straws to see who was responsible for which child and we slowly made our way to the bedroom while the sugar plums took a break from dancing.

It wasn't until I was completely awake that I realized that a large storm had blown in over night and the incessant claps of thunder were at fault for our now sleepless children. As I reached in the crib and retrieved my respective child, I felt her tremble. The soft words spoken"...daddies got you" laid with a gentle whisper on her ear seemed to calm her a bit.

I made my way through the house to gather the necessary items to camp on the sofa, made myself comfortable and settled in for a long night with Zoe. As the storm strengthened and began to get louder Zoe held me tighter and trembled a little more then softly whispered...it's okay daddy, it's okay while her tiny hands gently pat me on the back.

She wiggled around and after finding the perfect contour of daddies chest her breathing became steady and the quieter the storm got the more relaxed she became and soon her sugarplums once again began to dance. After a short night camp out on the sofa with Zoe and soon enough we were all back in our respective beds sleeping soundly.

It is soft moments like this that help us remember why we are parents. Tomorrow we will talk about times that we wonder why we ever had a desire to be parents :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment