Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Big Four!

There are certain milestones in our lives that we reach that remind us as to why we get up each morning. For some it may be a wedding and for some, the birth of a child...or children. Today we celebrate Luke's 4th birth day. Luke's birthday , each year, reminds me of a defining moment in my life and in the life of our small family.

In April of 2004 I received word that I was going to be deployed to Iraq in October. I had been married less than a year and this period of time was going to provide a great deal of uncertainty for Amber and I. As the date for my deployment grew closer we began to prepare ourselves for what was to come. As Spring turned into Summer we began to make final preparations and as luck would have it, we were thrown another curve ball. In late September, exactly one month before I was to go on active duty, we found out we were expecting a baby. Many will say that a baby is a gift and does not involve luck, however we were taking necessary medical steps to prevent a pregnancy, so the stars had to align and the moon had to be full and God had to posses a need for a really good laugh in order for us to get pregnant.

On my 24th birthday in late October Amber and I went for breakfast, had to finalize some business with the courts and had a doctors appointment to get to listen to the heart beat of our new baby. The following day I left for Oklahoma for training and in early January I said good bye to my family, possibly for the last time, leaving behind a wife that was 4 months pregnant and rightfully scared.

After five months in Iraq I began to make preparations for my time at home, knowing I was going to cut it close to the delivery. After 3 days on the tarmac at Baghdad International Airport I finally caught a flight to Kuwait and within 24 hours made it on a plane bound for the US.

Finally we reached the big day. No one in my family knew exactly when I would be home and none of us knew exactly when the baby would be here but we all knew about when these things would take place and our hope is that we can orchestrate them together.

I landed in Dallas and quickly began making phone calls to get a ride from the airport. My father was the one that answered first so he came to get me. After the customary formalities he informed me that he needed to go to his Doctors office and pick something up and then we could go home. Still dressed in my uniform I opted to use the bathroom in the lobby and wait for him there while he went to see his doctor. He insisted I go up stairs with him and use the bathroom up there. We made our way up the elevator and when he exited I did too, still not sure where we are going. Has he went through the double doors leading to his "doctors office" there was a group of nurses that we all excited to see me and my dad stopped in front of a door and, through his giggles, said "congratulations you had a son yesterday morning". I was completely unaware of what he was trying to say until I read the name on the door " Amber and Luke Rice". Amber was unaware that I was there and up until a few seconds ago, did not realize I was a new dad. We spent that night in the hospital and went hoem the next afternoon. For the next few weeks we spent some time getting to know one another again and make an attempt to forget that I had to leave in just a few short days.

Each Year on Luke's birthday we celebrate the day that he was born and reflect on the experiences we have shared with him and each year is a reminder to me of how far I have come and the path that has brought me here. Happy Birthday Luke and thank you for all you have taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment