Tuesday, May 12, 2009

When it Rains it Pours

I am always amazed at the lack of excitement that life displays during the times that I have the ability to manage the excitement and the abundance of excitement that comes on the days that I really could do without it.

Amber and I have worked out a schedule to help make sure that our kids get to the places they need to be in the morning with little fuss and more importantly...few tears. On Tuesdays she has to get up and get Luke and Zoe ready for their respective activities for the day and therefore I take Seth to school. We all got up on time this morning and managed to get out the door early to ensure that the tardy bug didn't get him once he got to school. There was minimal waiting in the car pool line that allowed us to make a quick drop off and hasty retreat before the parents that failed to wake up early get there and begin to disrupt the flow of the carpool traffic trying to toss their children at the door of the school in hopes that they too won't get caught by the tardy bug.

As I pulled away from the school a great sense of relief came over me knowing that we made another successful,on-time trip to school, for one of the last few days of the year, unscathed. However Officer Hunter of the local municipality saw things differently.

One of the tough sells of living in a small community is that often times the local Law enforcement tends to get bored easily. Which means there will be multiple radar stations to ensure that the posted speed limit is followed and that any other infraction they should see will get their attention and they will address it accordingly.

As I passed officer Hunter he made a quick glance at his dash, a quick glance at me and an even quicker "U" turn. Immediately , excuses began to fill my mind in an effort to have one prepared accompanied with the necessary facial expression in hopes that we could just look past this minor infraction...whatever it may have been...and allow me to move on with my day that, up to this point, was just fine.

After informing me who he was and asking me for the necessary info he needed to facilitate him doing his job, we made small talk and he informed me that my vehicle inspection was expired and that I needed to remedy the issue AND that the next time I come through here I need to monitor my speed because he was able to clock me with his ray gun at an astounding 32-34 mph in a 30 mph zone, down hill. He was gracious enough not to embarrass himself by writing me a citation for doing an average of 3 over the speed limit yet he did write the citation for the expired inspection.

When It Rains, It pours!

No comments:

Post a Comment